For almost a year, many of my writing friends raved about Downton Abbey, but it never quite worked out for me to find time to sit down and watch it. In the last month, I’ve found pockets of time to watch season one and the beginning of season two. Just enough to become hooked.
There are several reasons I think the show works:
1) The scenes cut back and forth between both the upstairs and downstairs world.
2) The upstairs folk seem to actually care about the downstairs folk.
3) There are villains, though my one complaint is that the villains have absolutely nothing likeable about them by the beginning of season two. They are simply there for us to hate.
4) The time period is absolutely fascinating. So much was happening from a societal stand point. Throw in World War One, and it’s absolutely captivating.
5) The clothes. Need I say more? 🙂
So I’m wondering, have you watched any of it? What did you think? Thumbs up or thumbs down? If you liked it, what captivated you?